My home made pesto, with fresh ingredients like basil, kale and nuts tastes delicious and can be served with pastas, spaghetti, pizza topping or can also be served as a dip. Do try it out and let me know your feedback.
Ingredients: Makes 2 cups approx.
Fresh Basil leaves (no stems) – 250 grams / 1 cup
Kale leaves – 1 cup / 4 stalks of kale (no stems)
Almonds (without skin) – ¼ cup
Garlic cloves – 4 to 5
Pepper and Salt to taste
Extra Virgin Olive oil – ½ cup
Nutritional Yeast / Grated Parmesan cheese – 2 to 3 teaspoon
- How to remove skin from almonds: Bring water to a high boil in a small pot / kadai. Place the almonds in the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the almonds in a strainer and dry them with a kitchen/paper towel. Now, using your fingers squeeze the almonds gently to remove the skin.
- To begin making the Pesto, first grind all the ingredients in a food processor / blender until the pesto is thoroughly pureed.
- You can store the Pesto in the refrigerator for a maximum up to 10 days.
- Serve with your favorite pasta, sandwiches, pizza toppings or even as a dip.
1. Spinach leaves can be used in place of Kale leaves.
2. Walnuts or Pine nuts can be used in place of Almonds.
3. Fresh mint, parsley, cilantro can also be added to the recipe.