You must be wondering Rice but no grain version. Confused….Let me break the suspense. This ‘rice’ isn’t rice at all. It’s a super big hunk of Cauliflower and Broccoli that’s been grated fine into a rice texture. To give the broccoli and cauliflower a fried rice resemblance, it’s important to extract the excess water from the grated vegetables prior to cooking. This dish is perfect for people on a low carb diet or who want to enjoy nutritious food. This is a good way to sneak in some veggies in your child’s diet. This rice but no rice dish is flavorful and loaded with lots of veggies and a hint of aromatic spices. Well, if you’re a rice fanatic, this cauliflower rice recipe will be a tasty and satisfying non-grain alternative. In fact, when I first made this I was amazed by the taste and texture that I swapped it with my regular Indian breakfast menu. I was first introduced to the amazing concept of a no-grain rice by my fitness expert. It’s since become a favorite of mine! I have given the original recipe a little Indian twist to satisfy my taste buds. Believe me, you will go Ga Ga over this dish. So, lets start cooking !!
Ingredients: Serves 2
1 large head Cauliflower
1 medium head Broccoli
1 cup chopped veggies (peas, corn kernels, carrots, broccoli florets)
½ finely chopped onions
¼ teaspoon grated ginger
2 to 3 green chillies as per taste
Salt as per taste
1 Bay leaf
2 to 3 cloves
2 Cardamom pods
1 small cinnamon stick
¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
1 tablepoon Olive oil
1. Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into florets, discarding the tough inner core. Working in batches, pulse the cauliflower and broccoli in a food processor until it breaks down into rice-sized pieces. You should have approx. 5 cups of cauliflower and broccoli “rice.”
2. In a deep bottom pan, heat water till bubbly and switch off the flame. Put in the riced cauliflower and broccoli into the boiling water and close the lid of the pan. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Do not allow it to sit too long or else the cauliflower and broccoli will be over cooked and will turn out to be mushy consistence instead of grainy.
3. Drain the water from cauliflower and broccoli by placing them on a strainer. Now, remove the excess water by placing the riced cauliflower and broccoli on a absorbent paper or kitchen towel and squeeze off the excess water.
4. This excess drained water can be stored and used for making soups. It is very nutritious.
5. In the same deep bottom pan, heat olive oil. When the oil is hot add in the cumin seeds and when the cumin seeds change color, add in the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom pod, coves and stir in for 30 seconds.
6. Now, add in the grated ginger , green chillies, chopped onion and the remaining veggies. Stir in for 2 minutes till the veggies turn out to be half cooked.
7. Add in the riced cauliflower and broccoli and stir in on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes so that if there is any excess water, then it will get dried off and you will get this amazing fried rice or couscous or upma consistency dish.
8. Serve it hot hot and enjoy it as a substitute to your regular rice or swap it with your breakfast menu.
9. I love, to have it as a replacement to Rice with some curried lentils or stir fry veggies on the side.
A cup of riced cauliflower and broccoli has only 25 and 31 calories versus white rice 204 calories.
One thought on “Broccauliflower Veggie Rice (No Grain Version)”
Superb. Good replacement for rice.