Say hello to “PHYTONUTRIENTS”
Most of us are aware that fruits & veggies contain essential vitamins and minerals.But, it’s little known that they also contain powerful natural chemicals known as Phytonutrients. Also found in whole grains, nuts, beans and tea, they also help to prevent disease and the body to work properly. “Phyto” refers to the Greek word for plant. More than 25,000 phytonutrients are known to be found in plant foods. General Examples of Phytonutrients include: Anti-oxidants, which help to protect the body from free-oxygen radicals, known to cause cellular damage and increase risk of cancer; Phyto-sterols, which reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men; and Dietary Fibers, which help to prevent constipation, reduce LDL cholesterol levels and maintain colon health.
Color is the best way to categorize the nutritional benefits of the 6 most common and important phytonutrients:
1. Red/Pink (Lycopene and Ellagic Acid): Lower risk of prostate cancer and heart disease. Found in apples, tomatoes, grapefruit, pomegranate and watermelon.
2. Orange/Yellow (Carotenoids and Hesperitin): support vision and immune health, act as anti-inflammatory to help prevent chronic disease. Found in citrus fruits, pumpkin and carrots, banana
3. Green (EGCG, Lutein and Isoflavones): protect body from age-related eye disease and maintains lung, arterial and liver function. Found in Spinach, Collard Greens, Kale, Green Beans, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and Green Tea.
4. Blue/Purple (Resveratrol): Help to slow cancer
growth rate and reduce risk of heart disease. An anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. Found in red wine, grapes, blueberries, blackberries and eggplant.
5. White (Allicin and Quercetin): Maintain healthy bones and minimize risk of heart disease. Found in flax-seeds, onions, garlic, cauliflower, and white kidney beans.
Health experts recommend the inclusion of the above 5 colors in the daily diet. Here’s a smoothie recipe I have created which is loaded with all the essential enzymes,aminos,phytonutrients,vitamins and minerals.
Remember, You are what You Absorb.
The Healthy Goodness Jar
Ingredients : Serves 2
1 cup water
3 stalks of celery
1 cup spinach leaves
1 cup kale leaves
few chunks of pineapple
1/2 a banana
1/2 a red apple
1/2 cup berries
Blend Blend …Enjoy the Goodness