This is the Best No Flour Veggie Pizza you will ever make. The secret ingredient is that the crust is made of Cauliflower. Yes you heard me right Cauliflower !! You must be thinking this is joke but No I’m making that claim and sticking to what I say. This indeed is the best pizza you are ever going to have. The idea behind making this cauliflower crust pizza is by doing tons of research online. The whole idea of using cauliflower is a total new quest for me. But this perfect recipe was derived after lot of trials and failed attempts at the cauliflower crust pizza before. Most times, the flavor was amazing but the texture was crumbly and falling apart. The solution to the best crust that doesn’t fall apart and taste like a bread crust is in the squeezing and draining the excess moisture from the cauliflower. And, yes you can slice it and pick it up like a real pizza slice. It’s a guilt free recipe without the all-purpose flour (white poison thats what I call it) and wheat free. The only calorie intense ingredient is Cheese. Okay, it’s a weekend treat for me and my tummy is happy since it is getting fed with all the amazing nutritious veggies so a little cheese here and there is allowed. The best part of this recipe is picky kids who donot like veggies won’t even understand the crust is not the traditional bread and this becomes an ideal way for mommies to sneak in veggies into their diets. What are you waiting for? Lets get started !!
Ingredients: Serves 3
1 large head of cauliflower
1 egg, beaten
1/3-cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon fresh minced garlic
Pinch of salt and pepper
½ cup organic pizza sauce or homemade sauce
¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Veggies of your choice
(zucchini, broccoli, spinach, onions, red sweet pepper, bellpeppers)
2 teaspoon milk
1. Preheat your oven to 400 F (approx. 200 Cel)
2. Line a baking tray with a silicone sheet or some parchment paper (no aluminum foil or wax paper)
3. Cut your cauliflower into small florets and pulse it in a food processor to a fine, rice or couscous like texture (about 4 cups of riced cauliflower)
4. Boil the riced cauliflower in a large pot for 5 to 7 minutes until the cauliflower is nice and tender.
5. Strain the cauliflower in a strainer and wait for the cauliflower to come to room temperature.
6. Place the cauliflower on a clean washed kitchen towel and squeeze out as much water as you can. This is a crucial step in this recipe, since the crust will hold its shape and not fall apart only when the water is completely squeezed out.
7. Transfer the cauliflower to a large mixing bowl and add in the beaten egg, 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese and the dry seasonings. Combine everything together.
8. Transfer the mixture to the baking tray and shape into a thick rectangle or a thick cylindrical disc of your choice. Do not forget to make the edges a little higher to give it bread crust effect. Brush little milk on top of the crust to give it a brown effect.
9. Bake it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
10. Top the crust with pizza sauce, veggies and ¾ th cup mozzarella cheese and bake again for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
11. Let it cool for 10 minutes and cut into slices (mine came to about 6 slices). Enjoy Guilt free !!
Note: Approx. 400 calories per serving of 2 slices which is just ½ the calories of a regular flour crust pizza.