In this version of pasta, I have used Israeli couscous, which is a small variety of pasta but looks like a grain/ tapioca/ sabudana. This variety of pasta is delicious as a main course when loaded with vegetables and pasta sauce. I have tried the same recipe with pesto sauce and it taste delicious.
Ingredients: Serves 2
Israeli pearl couscous – 1 cup
Homemade Pasta Sauce / Store bought – 4 tablespoon
Broccoli florets – ½ cup
Shredded Broccoli Stems, Carrots – ½ cup
Green Bell Pepper/ Capsicum cut into strips – ½ cup
Chopped Onions – ½ cup
Garlic – 2 cloves
Crushed Italian herbs – ¼ teaspoon
Pepper – as per taste
Salt – as per taste
Nutritional Yeast / Parmesan cheese – as needed
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
1. To prepare the couscous pasta, first boil the couscous as per the packet instructions.
2. The above is the pic of the dry couscous before cooking.
3. The above is the pic of the couscous after cooking.
4. In a deep pan add 1 tablespoon of oil and add finally grated / chopped garlic and stir for 1 minute. During this process the garlic flavors the oil well.
5. Now, add in the vegetables and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes till the vegetables are almost half cooked but still retains its crunchiness.
6. Add in 4 tablespoon of pasta sauce, herbs, pepper and salt. Stir for 2 minutes. At this time if the sauce is dry, you can add few tablespoon of water. Do a taste test to see, if the salt and pepper is fine.
7. Now, add in the cooked couscous and mix well. Sprinkle some nutritional yeast/ parmesan cheese and serve Hot. It’s a meal in itself.
1. Feel free to use any type of pasta for the same recipe.
2. Nutritional yeast taste like cheese and can be a healthy substitute to regular cheese which is loaded with calories. Nutritional yeast is a good source of protein.
3. You can add in as many vegetables you like.
4. Sprouts can also be added to increase the protein intake
5. I would be posting soon the recipe of my homemade pasta sauce.