Beetroot Carrot Soup is an delicious, refreshing and healthy soup. The beetroot not only gives the vibrant color to the soup but also adds in the essential nutrients , vitamins and fiber. Carrots help in improving eye sight, skin health and helps in digestion. I was in a mood to have a light dinner, so made this soup last night and I loved the soup. Try out this recipe and let me know your feedback.
Ingredients: Serves 2 to 3
Beetroot – 1 large or 2 small
Carrots – 2 large or 4 small
Chopped Cabbage – ½ cup
Chopped Spring Onions – ½ cup
Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
Salt – as per taste
Pepper – as per taste
Italian herbs mix – ¼ tsp
Garlic cloves – 2
Ginger – small piece / when grated ½ teaspoon
Fresh Basil leaves for garnish
Water – to adjust the consistency
To make the Beetroot Carrot puree:
1. Peel off the skin from the beetroot and carrots. Cut them into medium size bite pieces and boil them in a pressure cooker with sufficient water for 2 whistles or in a deep bottom saucepan with sufficient water till the beetroot and carrots are soft and cooked. Keep aside and let it cool for 20 minutes. Strain the boiled beetroot and carrots. Do not throw the water.
2. Now, blend the beetroot, carrots, ginger and garlic with ½ cup water (the strained water kept aside) in a blender until smooth.
To make the final soup:
3. In a deep bottom saucepan add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add in the chopped spring onions and chopped cabbage. Sprinkle some salt and saute/stir until the onions and cabbage turn a little soft. You can keep the saucepan partially covered so the steam that is generated inside helps the onions and cabbage to cook faster.
4. Now, pour the beetroot carrot puree back into the saucepan. Add pepper, crushed Italian herbs. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Add the remaining strained water depending on how thick or light you like your soup.
5. Check for salt and pepper levels. Adjust to suit your taste.
6. When you are ready to serve the soup, garnish with basil leaves and serve the soup along with a toasted garlic bread. Serve Hot.