Soups and winter go hand in hand right? I don’t think so. Its almost summer here and I am hungry and making a trip to the store is just out of question. So I made a quick trip to my Kitchen instead and guess what I found, a bowl of soaked black beans which I had kept to use the next day for some other recipe. All I could imagine for dinner was a bowl of wholesome one pot Hot soup. I opened up the refrigerator and got all the veggies I could find and within thirty minutes, we had a big pot of Black Bean Corn soup ready to please our tummies. There were few leftovers that my husband packed up in individual serving containers for his lunch the next day. This soup is packed with lot of veggies and all the healthy goodness. Enjoy!!
Ingredient: Serves 3 to 4
Black Beans – 1 cup
Frozen/ Fresh Corn Kernel – ½ cup
Onion finely chopped – ½ cup
Tomatoes finely chopped – ½ cup
Green Bell pepper / capsicum finely chopped – ¼ cup
Red Bell pepper / capsicum finely chopped – ¼ cup
Celery finely chopped – ¼ cup
Broccoli finely chopped – ½ cup
Juice from ½ lemon
Garlic cloves grated – 2 to 3
Ginger julienne – 1 teaspoon
Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
Salt and pepper to taste
Crushed coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
Vegetable stock / Water – 3 cups
1. Pre-soak the black beans in hot water for 2 hours.
2. To make the black bean corn soup, take a pressure cooker add in the oil. When the oil is hot add in the grated garlic, ginger julienne and saute/stir for 1 minute till all the flavors from the ginger and garlic get infused in the oil.
3. Now, add in the onion, tomatoes, green & red bell peppers, celery, broccoli, crushed coriander seeds, salt and pepper and saute/ stir in for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add in the black beans and corn and stir for 1 minute.
5. Now, add 3 cups of vegetable stock / water and let the whole mixture come to a boil. Do a salt and pepper taste check and add more if needed.
6. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 3 to 4 whistles. When the pressure is completely gone, open the cooker lid and add the lemon juice and mix well. Check the consistency of the soup.
7. If the soup is thick you can add some more vegetable stock / water to adjust the consistency of the soup.
8. Serve hot with some pita chips / garlic bread sticks. This is one meal which can be had for brunch, lunch or even dinner. Enjoy the wholesome goodness.
1. Chicken stock can be used in place of vegetable stock.
2. Canned ready to use black beans can also be used in this recipe.
3. This recipe can also be made in slow cooker. Just set the timer as per the instructions given in the slow cooker manual booklet.
4. If trying to make the soup on stove top in a large skillet then it is best to use pre-cooked black beans which will help in reducing the cooking time.
5. Different vegetables of your choice can be added to this recipe.
6. Soup can be made 3 days ahead and cooled completely, then chilled, covered. Before serving thin the soup with water and reheat and enjoy.